Sunday, August 31, 2008

William's Birth

I was 8 days past my due date, resulting in an attempt to force the birth with a medication called "syntosinon" (it's in French, I don't know the English equivalent, sorry. I believe it might be something similar to Petocin). Twenty minutes after the start of the IV, William's heart dropped from 155 beats per minute to an astonishing 64bpm in a matter of about 3 seconds. We had to deliver through c-section right away. I was brought to the O.R. and put to sleep immediately. Once I was asleep, it took my ob/gyn 2 minutes to sterilize, cut open and take my poor William out. (I was put to sleep at 11:29am and William was born at 11:31am!) He was white in color and was given oxygen for 12 hours "just in case" they said. (I still wonder if it was "just in case"). He was born with a pneumonia and was in NICU for 7 days on antibiotics and was wired for his oxygen level (under the foot), lungs function and heart rate. My husband and could only hold him the following day.

No comments: